Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Will Barbara(Mom) Ever Fight Apollo Creed?

So as some of you know this is my Mother. It seems that she has had some medical problems lately.

So on April 20th she went in for surgery on her spine. The 3, 4, and 5 vertebrae. The surgery was 6 hours with a break in the middle so they could flip her over.

The decision for this procedure was to make it possible for her spinal cord to be decompressed.
The good news is those are the results of the operation.

But like any super surgery there is risk and sometimes set backs.
Here are some of the things I know and to answer some of the questions I have been getting.
She was only to be in ICU for about 2 days. We are now going on 12 and it looks like maybe even more than 20. Why? Well it seems that...
* The surgery on the 3 4 and 5 vertebrae deal directly with lung function as well as abdominal.
So because of this, she has been having trouble breathing on her own. They took her off the respirator April 23rd, but needed to replace it after she stopped breathing. The good news is that no damage to her mind or heart.
* She has also acquired a pneumonia mostly in the left lung. They are treating this with medicine and vacuuming the mucus out.

So in Summary...
She is in the pain. She is looking better, but it is going to take her body time to heal. She has literally a team of doctors. Heart, Lung, Blood, the Spinal Surgeon plus a team of nurses. That being said. The good news is that they keep her pretty well sedated most of the time.

The frustrating part of this ordeal is that we would like her to be better now, and now keeps getting pushed back. I was looking for now on my calendar. I can't seem to find it.

I keep sitting there like Rocky at Adrean's bed side waiting for her to wake up, look at me and say "Walter, do me a favor!" and I say in a meat-head fashion "Ya, What!" Then she says with a smile "WIN!"

Then Joe (my step-father) would say "What are we waiting for?" The Rocky music starts and we run out of the hospital training for the big fight. However, that is crazy because I don't even box.



Maybe if I woke up and told my mother to "WIN!" she would jump up out of bed and then be healed. Just like in the movies, she could then start training for her big fight with Apollo Creed, win and then hold high the Heavy Weight Championship Belt.

However, Joe says "That is just silly! Walter, If she was a boxer she would never be a heavy weight. Plus with the spinal cord surgery it would not be good for her to jump rope."
See how reality can be a buzz kill!

For those of you reading this who live in the real world, which I do visit, and realize that this is not a movie. Things are going better just slowly. Probably within the year she should be walking on her own again. She is just having a real hard time right now.

I am scheduled to be here in New Jersey until she leaving ICU which should be a few days before the 10th. See you all soon!

Hope you all have a great day and remember.

WIN! At whatever that fight might be....

Walter

No comments: