Friday, November 24, 2006

Christmas Tree Hunter
















Happy Black Friday…

While many people were saving money on their Holiday Shopping List, I went hunting. My prey was the Merry Christmas Tree. Many people have stopped this practice of chopping down their own tree, probably because in California our state is desert, and it would kind of look silly having to sing Christmas carols around a cactus.

However, if you just take a little time and drive well, I don’t know 8 hours north from San Diego you will be in a little area known as Los Gatos. “Los Gatos” in Spanish means the cat.

Which of course reminds me of a little story back in High School. I took Spanish, because French seamed less advantageous to learn since Mexico is so close and France is so far away. But anyway the memorably part of the class were our oral reports. It seemed that I could not use the word “panocha” in class. This was a no no. I instead I needed a substitute word. I chose Cat, or Los Gatos. Therefore, every report I gave was based on the fact “Me gusta, comer los gatos.” In translation “I like to eat cats”, and well you can figure out the rest.

This being said, I am now the great hunter of the Christmas tree, I still love los gatos, but more importantly I enjoy the purity of tree hunting. As you can see in this photo this tree gave up quite a fight. It as tree hunters say, she’s a big one.

Now before you crazy tree hugging anti-fir nuts freak out. Tree hunting is done on a tree hunting farm, much like farm raised fish, but without the mercury. Note to mention without all the hooks either and you really don’t need to get up early to catch a tree, probably because they are stationary. Not to hard to spot too, because after all they are trees.

So how is this with the people? Well, cutting down a Christmas tree is a wonderful time to spend with the people. Cutting it on a farm takes away the legislation that is sometimes needed in tree removal. So sleep in, have a nice breakfast, then take a nap, have some after thanksgiving leftovers and instead of fighting people for $5 off that neat wigit, make it apart of your holiday traditions to Hunt and Kill your own Christmas Tree. Posted by Picasa

No comments: